The Episcopal Church in Colorado is committed to creating safe environments and has designed policies to reflect that commitment. Our Safe Church program comprises Safeguarding God’s Children and Safeguarding God’s People training modules, as well as model policies for ministries with children and youth, which can be adapted by each congregation. At the bottom of this page are resource links for you to view regarding Safe Church policies.
Safeguarding God’s Children
- Safeguarding God’s Children training modules and workshops are for those who minister to children and youth.
- This training helps create safe spaces for the prevention of child sexual abuse.
- Certification is required every four years for all clergy, lay staff, volunteers, and regular church workers (those who work with children and/or youth five or more times per year).
- Safeguarding God’s Children is accessible in two formats: In-Person Training Workshops & Online Training.
Safeguarding God’s People
- Safeguarding God’s People training modules are for those who minister to adults.
- Recertification of this course is required every four years for those who continue in this ministry.
- Safeguarding God’s People is only offered through Safeguarding Online Training.
Safeguarding Online Training
Participation in Safeguarding Online Modules requires a user login and password. Please complete the online registration link below. You will receive a follow-up email, typically within 24-48 hours, with your user name, password, a list of required modules, and a link to the online system.
Please note: Sometimes these emails end up in junk mail. If you don’t see our email in your inbox within the expected timeframe, please check your junk folder.
Safeguarding God’s Children In-Person Training
In-Person Training Workshops are recommended for those taking Safeguarding God’s Children for the first time and are free of charge. Individuals seeking recertification are welcome as well. The workshop takes approximately 3 hours to complete.
- No workshops scheduled
Safeguarding God’s Children Workshop Leader Training
- No workshops scheduled
Questions about Safeguarding? Contact the Office of the Bishop by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10 Things you can do now to Prevent Child Abuse
- Reading Materials and Resources for Parents
- Colorado State Statutes regarding Child Abuse
- Children’s Charter of the Episcopal Church
- Contact Information for the Division of Child Welfare Services
Policy and Procedure Material
- Parish Policies for Ministries with Children and Youth
- Parish Policies for Ministries with Children and Youth – Spanish
- Guidelines for Appropriate Affection in Ministry with Children or Youth (Appendix A of Parish Policies)
- Supplemental Material and Forms – Policies for Parish Ministries with Children and Youth
- More information is also available on the Policies for Ministry page.
In-Person Training Materials (to be printed by workshop leaders)