The Bishop and The Episcopal Church in Colorado are committed to creating safe environments and have designed policies to reflect that commitment. Our Safe Church program comprises Safeguarding God’s Children and Safeguarding God’s People training modules, as well as model policies for ministries with children and youth, which can be adapted by each congregation. At the bottom of this page are resource links for you to view regarding Safe Church policies.
Safeguarding God’s Children
- Safeguarding God’s Children training modules and workshops are for those who minister to children and youth.
- This training helps create safe spaces for the prevention of child sexual abuse.
- Certification is required every four years for all clergy, lay staff, volunteers, and regular church workers (those who work with children and/or youth five or more times per year).
- Safeguarding God’s Children is accessible in two formats : In-Person Training Workshops & Online Training.
Safeguarding God’s People
- Safeguarding God’s People training modules are for those who minister to adults.
- Recertification of this course is required every four years for those who continue in this ministry.
- Safeguarding God’s People is only offered through Safeguarding Online Training.
Safeguarding Online Training Modules
Registration for Online Safeguarding Training Modules
Participation in Safeguarding Online Modules requires a user login and password. Please complete the online registration link below. You will receive a follow-up email within a week with your user name, password and the link to a complete list of all the Safeguarding Online Training Modules. The email you receive will give you a list of the of the modules you need to complete.
Register Now >
To renew your Safeguarding God’s Children Certificate, please complete the online training modules.
Register Now >
Safeguarding God’s Children In-Person Training Workshops
- In-Person Training Workshops are for those taking Safeguarding God’s Children for the first time.
- In-Person Workshops are free of charge.
- The workshop takes approximately 3 ½ hours to complete.
Upcoming Safeguarding God’s Children In-Person Training Workshops
October 21, 2017. 9:00 am to 1:00 pm at St. Mary Magdalene, 4775 Cambridge St, Boulder, CO 80301
October 22, 2017. 12:00 pm to 3:30 pm at St. Gabriel the Archangel, 6190 E. Quincy Ave., Cherry Hills Village, CO 80111
Register Now >
Questions about Safeguarding? Contact Meg Stern or Dianne Draper at the Office of the Bishop by phone at 303.837.1173.
- 10 Things you can do now to Prevent Child Abuse
- Reading Materials and Resources for Parents
- Colorado State Statutes regarding Child Abuse
- Children’s Charter of the Episcopal Church
- Contact Information for the Division of Child Welfare Services
Policy and Procedure Material
- Parish Policies for Ministries with Children and Youth
- Parish Policies for Ministries with Children and Youth – Spanish
- Guidelines for Appropriate Affection in Ministry with Children or Youth (Appendix A of Parish Policies)
- Supplemental Material and Forms – Policies for Parish Ministries with Children and Youth
- More information is also available on the Policies for Ministry page.
In-Person Training Materials (to be printed by workshop leaders)