The Bishop of The Episcopal Church in Colorado seeks a dynamic, innovative Missioner for Faith Formation to provide resources and to implement programs that effectively equip leaders for the work of evangelism, basic Christian catechesis, and substantive ongoing formation and discipleship for people of all ages across the diocese.
The Episcopal Church in Colorado includes 99 parishes and missions, 5 special congregations and worshiping communities, and 10 diocesan institutions across the state with a membership of 30,000 people.
The Missioner for Faith Formation is a member of the Senior Leadership Team in the Office of the Bishop and also oversees the effective use and growth of the Cathedral Ridge camp and conference facility. Cathedral Ridge consists of 160 acres located outside of Woodland Park, Colorado and offers a variety of accommodations, including a 22-room lodge, three guest houses, and two youth cabins, as well as recreational opportunities that includes hiking trails and a new high and low ropes course. Cathedral Ridge hosts more than 70 guest groups per year, serving approximately 1,100 adults and 400 children and youth.
Specific responsibilities for the Missioner include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead Formation & Discipleship Resource Development
- Create, evaluate, and curate resources and programs to encourage and equip leaders of all ages across the diocese.
- Coordinate, sponsor, and lead faith formation events such as seasonal retreats, trainings, and workshops across the diocese.
- Provide Diocesan Faith Formation Leadership
- Actively seek input from leadership around the diocese, including clergy, faith formation leaders, and regional missioners, to make sure faith formation resources and programs are effective and relevant.
- Be a regular presence in congregations as needed to promote the vision, mission, and ministry of the Episcopal Church in Colorado.
- Develop Strategic Partnerships
- Establish partnerships with existing programs offered by dioceses and seminaries to provide continuing education opportunities for clergy and lay leaders across the diocese.
- Work with the Canon to the Ordinary, the Commission on Ministry, and the Board of Examining Chaplains to provide module-based education and formation for discernment to ordained ministry.
- Oversee Cathedral Ridge
- Partner with Cathedral Ridge Executive Director and Board of Directors to ensure Cathedral Ridge vision, activities, and operations align with diocesan faith formation strategic objectives.
- Participate in fund development activities at Cathedral Ridge.
- Administer and Manage Operations
- Manage the Faith Formation budget.
- Oversee compliance with all policies and canons pertinent to the faith formation function.
- Supervise Faith Formation staff.
- Participate actively in the leadership of the Office of the Bishop as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
Ideal candidates have 5+ years experience as an active clergyperson in The Episcopal Church including parish ministry, have a deep commitment to The Episcopal Church in Colorado’s mission and vision, and have an in-depth knowledge of The Episcopal Church and its operations. Ideal candidates have specific experience in leading faith formation efforts for disciples of all ages.
Candidates have a formed prayer life, experience in the supervision of staff, a collaborative leadership style, strong skills in networking across the Church, experience in managing operational activities, and demonstrated experience in working with people on difficult or sensitive issues. Excellent and effective written and verbal communication skills as well as an ability to work collaboratively with various constituencies, committees, and staff members are essential. Knowledge of effective fund development techniques and a willingness to engage with donors are important skills for the effective execution of this role. Some knowledge of camp and conference facility management and marketing would be helpful.
Candidates must be willing to travel across the diocese and to live in the Denver metro area.
We encourage interested candidates to send a cover letter, resume, Office for Transition Ministry (OTM) profile, and salary requirements to Carolyn.McCormick@peakhrconsulting.com. All applications are to be received via email.
The Episcopal Diocese of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer.